You Know You're A Med Student When...

I'm getting through medical school with the help and support from friends, family, and "those who have come before me." This is my way of passing the torch and sharing my thoughts for those who are about to set foot of the same path. WE ALL GET BY WITH THE HELP OF FAMILY, FRIENDS, AND THE BIG MAN UPSTAIRS.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Some Women Are Men



Okay, not really. But I just learned something pretty interesting. And no, this has nothing to do with Jamie Lee Curtis actually being a male.

Working on pharm today, I learned that acne is actually caused by testosterone. What are a lot of women put on to treat acne? Oral contraceptives (birth control pills). The "MOA" (method of action) is that the drug actually reduces the amount of free testosterone in the body, hence why it successfully treats acne. Those poor women...having surges of testosterone in their bodies.

Thankfully, I am acne free...got through puberty without pimples, too. I will admit that I get pimples before exams. It's almost always on cue: one on the cheek or forehead the day before every exam. It's gone right after I take my exam. So, for that brief period of time, I must somehow get a testosterone surge. I'll take this a step forward to develop a new theory: this might explain my behavior changes before an exam. Perhaps I should conduct an experiment on this. (this would be my second experiment here at AUC. My first came from my frustration at the absolute rudeness of some students. Too many people walk by and pretend not to see you, or make eye contact and then not say hi. My theory on this was that it all depends on where you come from. For example, those from big cities are the ones apt to walk by and not smile at a stranger, while those from smaller, close knit communities will gladly greet a stranger. My theory was proven correct. I went a step further and tested the idea that, if you initiate the "smile exchange" the stranger will smile back, no matter what. It worked 85% of the time).

Back to working on the pimple theory, though.

From now one, if someone asks if i'm stressed, i'll say, "No, it's because of my pimple."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home