You Know You're A Med Student When...

I'm getting through medical school with the help and support from friends, family, and "those who have come before me." This is my way of passing the torch and sharing my thoughts for those who are about to set foot of the same path. WE ALL GET BY WITH THE HELP OF FAMILY, FRIENDS, AND THE BIG MAN UPSTAIRS.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

As Promised


I took some pics of the Christmas trees today after med pysch lab. I wanted to take some more pics of the decorations, but all of a sudden, first semesters started flooding the rotunda. I think they were leaving lab. Anyway, I'll get some more later.

Here at AUC, whenever we hear that the administration has made changes, we tend to automatically groan. But today, during a 4th semester meeting regarding ICM changes, I was extremely happy. ICM time is no longer 3-6 pm. Starting next semester, it is now 12-3. This is because of the new BBCM (Kaplan) changes that have been made: no more formal class. It is all now self study. YIPPEE!!!!!!

After that meeting, there was a general town hall meeting regarding clinicals and registration for Step. Mainly 4th and 5th semesters there, but a few anal 3rd semesters were there as well. These people honestly think that you can finish 5th semester and immediately take Step within the same week. um, no. This was explained to us at the beginning of the meeting, but for 40 minutes after that, people kept asking the same question over and over again: "Can i take the Step right after 5th?" NO! Bunch of whiners who want administration to bend the rules just for them. Especially these 3rd semesters. "We wanna take it right after 5th semester. That's our plan." They haven't finished 3rd, haven't finished 4th. Anything could happen, God forbid. Not to mention, you have family matters and finacial matters that could come up. I don't understand why people can't learn that you cannot plan life to that extent. And for those who want to criticize me, don't bother. I'm allowed to get on my soapbox and harp on them b/c I used to be like that and look where I am now: I'm here an extra semester b/c I didn't plan on unforseen thing popping up on me.

Anyway, I left to go to med psych lab. Absolutely nothing was accomplished in that town hall meeting. Nothing. Well, one thing was learned: the earliest I can take step is June 1st. Which is fine. That gives me a good 6 weeks to fully focus on studying for step. Some of my friends that have already left and taken step say that is more than enough time. Too much time set aside for step will actually hurt you, because you start procrastinating.

Anyway, this is my two cents. The normal and cheerful Dr. J will once again be featured on tomorrow's entry. Tune in...

2 Comments:

  • At November 30, 2006 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Being a 3rd semester, I have to make a comment regarding your post. YOU ARE NOT IN OUR CLASS, you don't know what we have to go through, so please do NOT make assumptions and start criticizing us for what we want to do. I'm sorry that you failed PATH 1 and that you might need to stay back an extra semester but that is your own wrong doing. Some of us do try hard to pass all of our classes with hope that we can somehow take the Step after leaving the island with the material fresh in mind. We're not complaining because we're one month behind for the Step, but we're complaining because that puts us ONE WHOLE YEAR back for the match. God forbids if you'll fail Path 1 again, then you'll be in the same boat as we will comes matching time, so we'll see who will complain then. Again, do not criticize us for things you don't understand. I understand the post was made to "vent", but when you start calling the people who showed up to the meeting as being "anal", that's a bit too rude don't you think? The meeting was open to everyone, I didn't see anything that says "exclusively for 4th and 5th", so please don't think everything evolves around your class.

     
  • At November 30, 2006 10:49 PM, Blogger Dr J said…

    As we're all entitled to our opinions, I'm posting this 3rd semesters reponse.

    I'm sorry if you took my venting as a personal offense, but you made a mistake of saying that i'm making assumptions. Pal, you are too, so take your own advice and not make other assumptions. I never once failed Path I, nor have I even taken the 1st test and dropped it like a lot of people do. I simply chose to break up 3rd semester and push back Path I. As for why I am here for an extra semester, that is for personal reasons.

    As for my "assumptions," my venting came from the fact that that 40 minutes was spent asking the same question over and over again. I understand your concerns, but a town hall meeting is intended for everyone's general knowledge, so not being able to understand the concept that you can't take step right away needs to 1. be brought up with your class and get feedback followed by 2. taking it directly to blevins and miami for better understanding. (and when i say "YOU" i mean the class reps for 3rd semester). I had direct questions that I and several of my friends had regarding changes to clinical sites that were unanswered b/c, once again, 40 minutes was spent answering the same question. My use of "ANAL" came from the fact that no one would let the issue drop. B/c of the lack of success, another mtg for Friday has been scheduled.

    Good luck in Path I.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home