You Know You're A Med Student When...

I'm getting through medical school with the help and support from friends, family, and "those who have come before me." This is my way of passing the torch and sharing my thoughts for those who are about to set foot of the same path. WE ALL GET BY WITH THE HELP OF FAMILY, FRIENDS, AND THE BIG MAN UPSTAIRS.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

4th Semester Factoid: Wednesday



Okay, so I've been learning a lot about cancer in pathology. The word "cancer" tends to automatically bring about a negative connotation to it, but actually, there have been some pretty impressive advancements in the area. For example, the rate of stomach cancer in the US has steadily been declining. Why? All of the extra perservatives that health nutts stick their noses up at are actually protecting us...they contain a lot of antioxidants.

On the other hand, US has the highest incidences of colon cancers in the world. This again has to do with the typical American diet: red meat and low fiber.

Seems like we need to find a balance: our upper GI tract is okay, but the bottom (no pun intended) is now getting messed up.

My plan? I'll just stick to my Maryland crabs: crabcakes, crab soup...

1 Comments:

  • At October 05, 2006 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Apparently, because I switched over to the blogger "beta" version, I can't leave comments yet on non-beta users' blogs. It all seems sort of silly (and mildly annoying), so I have to go with the "anonymous" label for now. Anyway... I think my original point was that I've happened to catch a few glimpses of those path slides from your lectures (sometimes biochem gets reaaaalllly tedious, and I like to sneak peeks at Jeff's notes instead) and they are pretty frightening.

    I miss Maryland crabcakes like crazy. I refuse to eat crabcakes elsewhere -- just not the same.

    -D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home