You Know You're A Med Student When...

I'm getting through medical school with the help and support from friends, family, and "those who have come before me." This is my way of passing the torch and sharing my thoughts for those who are about to set foot of the same path. WE ALL GET BY WITH THE HELP OF FAMILY, FRIENDS, AND THE BIG MAN UPSTAIRS.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Complete Sense of Irony


Today started the 2 week medical ethics course. Frankly, it feels as though it's a baby-sitting class. Granted, ethics is important in medicine, but it's covered in med pysch (to an extent). For two hours today, we listened to the professor read straight from her slides about the hippocratic oath. After an hour of reading to us like we're kindergartners, we got a break. After break, she spent 20 minutes doing roll call for 100+ people. Surprisingly, she didn't really butcher the Indian names. Why roll call? Because we signed the attendance sheet at the beginning of class, and she wanted to make sure that everyone of us that signed it at the beginning were still there...it would be unethical to sign and leave.

Where does the irony fit in? We have a required book for the class that a lot of people don't have. Her solution is to take it to note service and allow them to copy it for the students that need it. Ummmm....copy right laws? To be fair to her, she is setting up a system that if get a copy, it will be numbered and recorded, and you have to turn it into her at the end of the course, or you don't get your final grade. HOWEVER, she said, "What you do with the copy in between those two times is up to you.... I don't want to know." Oh, so you're telling us to unethically make more copies???? Does anyone else see a problem with this?

Before I get off my soapbox, I'm not one to boo-hoo over school: it's your education, make the most of it, so stop complaining. But this semester, my schedule is being changed on a daily basis b/c the school keeps accepting more and more students without expanding its facilities. Now, added to my chaotic schedule is a ethics course that is being taught by an unethical person who just reads from slides for 2 hours. Thanks, but no thanks...i can get it done in half the time on my own.

Enough ranting and raving...I have 2 exams next week that I need to study for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home